Seathwaite to Coniston - Tuesday 10 December 2024
Route
Seathwaite Newfield Inn - Turner Hall Farm - Long House Gill Bridge - Seathwaite Tarn - Troutal Fell - Sheep Crag - Grey Friar - Fairfield - Great Carrs - Top of Broad Slack - Swirl How - Swirl Band - Levers Hawse - Gill Cove - Levers Water - Coppermines Valley - Miners Bridge - Coniston
Parking
Not required as we left our car in Coniston
Mileage
9.6 miles
Terrain
For the majority of the walk the route is along good mountain paths. The section from Seathwaite Tarn to the summit of Grey Friar follows a vague path that, whilst not detailed on the OS Map is there on the ground. The descent from Levers Hawse to Levers Water via Gill Cove is steep with some sections of loose stone to negotiate.
Weather
Cold with bright sunshine all day. Visibility was excellent.
Time Taken
6hrs 20mins
Total Ascent
3428ft (1045m)
Wainwrights
3
Map
OL6 - The English Lakes (South Western Area)
Walkers
Dave & Angie
Seathwaite Newfield Inn - Turner Hall Farm - Long House Gill Bridge - Seathwaite Tarn - Troutal Fell - Sheep Crag - Grey Friar - Fairfield - Great Carrs - Top of Broad Slack - Swirl How - Swirl Band - Levers Hawse - Gill Cove - Levers Water - Coppermines Valley - Miners Bridge - Coniston
Parking
Not required as we left our car in Coniston
Mileage
9.6 miles
Terrain
For the majority of the walk the route is along good mountain paths. The section from Seathwaite Tarn to the summit of Grey Friar follows a vague path that, whilst not detailed on the OS Map is there on the ground. The descent from Levers Hawse to Levers Water via Gill Cove is steep with some sections of loose stone to negotiate.
Weather
Cold with bright sunshine all day. Visibility was excellent.
Time Taken
6hrs 20mins
Total Ascent
3428ft (1045m)
Wainwrights
3
Map
OL6 - The English Lakes (South Western Area)
Walkers
Dave & Angie
|
GPX File
|
| ||
If the above GPX file fails to download or presents itself as an XML file once downloaded then please feel free to contact me and I will send you the GPX file via e-mail.
Route Map
After a hearty breakfast we were off. This pub is a little gem - unpretentious with good food & beer. We have stayed here a few times and it never disappoints.
A frosty start to the day as we look over to Wallowbarrow Crag
Heading out of the village the route passes Seathwaite Parish Room, the former village school. For those wishing to start walks from Seathwaite, there is parking here for several cars on an honesty basis - as at 2024 the charge was £2.
Holy Trinity Church in Seathwaite
The "Clipping Stone" adorned with a sundial that sits at the entrance to Holy Trinity Church
The stone was used at nearby Gateskell Farm in the middle of the 18th Century as a stool for clipping sheep by the Reverend Robert Walker who was Vicar of the Seathwaite Parish. He was revered by the title of "Wonderful Walker". By all accounts he was a bit of a jack of all trades and even Wordsworth himself knew of him, mentioning Walker in The Excursion, and later in one of his sonnets.
The stone was used at nearby Gateskell Farm in the middle of the 18th Century as a stool for clipping sheep by the Reverend Robert Walker who was Vicar of the Seathwaite Parish. He was revered by the title of "Wonderful Walker". By all accounts he was a bit of a jack of all trades and even Wordsworth himself knew of him, mentioning Walker in The Excursion, and later in one of his sonnets.
Tarn Beck (Click Play to view)
The route turns off the road and makes its way to Turner Hall Farm via the access lane
From Turner Hall Farm the route crosses fields via a track heading towards Long House Gill Bridge
Arriving at Long House Gill Bridge and a very icy section of tarmac
The route splits here at Grid Reference SD 23981 96807. We would be heading straight on through the gate to join the Seathwaite Tarn access track. The path to the right is the Walna Scar Road which, if the weather was against us today we could have followed back to Coniston.
The route splits here at Grid Reference SD 23981 96807. We would be heading straight on through the gate to join the Seathwaite Tarn access track. The path to the right is the Walna Scar Road which, if the weather was against us today we could have followed back to Coniston.
On the Seathwaite Tarn access track - Grey Friar's summit can just about be seen in the left centre distance
The cascading waters of Long House Gill (Click Play to view)
Looking over the Duddon Valley to Harter Fell
Continuing along the access track - this was pleasant walking however we had to watch out for sections of ice
Harter Fell & The Scafells with Sunny Pike to the right
What a glorious day this was turning out to be as we continue along the access track
A group of locals enjoying their breakfast below Lead Pike
Almost at the tarn now as Troutal Fell and Grey Friar's south west ridge comes into view
Approaching Seathwaite Tarn with the dam now in view
Looking back along the access track from the dam wall
At the dam wall the route passes a large erratic boulder
Seathwaite Tarn
In order to create a source of drinking water the existing tarn was considerably enlarged with a dam in 1904. The construction of the dam was not without incident as some of the navvies rioted damaging buildings in the village, several rioters were shot with one dying the next day. Whilst it doesn't look like it from the approach, the dam is split in two and separated by a rocky knoll. The length of the dam is almost 400 yards (366m) long and is concrete cored with slate buttresses, the resulting depth of the tarn being around 80 feet (24 m). Water is not abstracted directly from the tarn, but flows some distance downriver to an off-take weir.
In order to create a source of drinking water the existing tarn was considerably enlarged with a dam in 1904. The construction of the dam was not without incident as some of the navvies rioted damaging buildings in the village, several rioters were shot with one dying the next day. Whilst it doesn't look like it from the approach, the dam is split in two and separated by a rocky knoll. The length of the dam is almost 400 yards (366m) long and is concrete cored with slate buttresses, the resulting depth of the tarn being around 80 feet (24 m). Water is not abstracted directly from the tarn, but flows some distance downriver to an off-take weir.
The metal bridge over Seathwaite Tarn's outflow leading to the rocky knoll which in turn leads to the second dam
Looking across Seathwaite Tarn to Brim Fell
The route reaches a small cairn at Grid Reference SD 25094 98841. We would be heading to the left here to continue up Troutal Fell and join Grey Friar's south west ridge. A path does go to the right but ends at the old mine past the northern end of the tarn. It should be noted that the path over Troutal Fell is not marked on the OS Map but in most parts is clear enough on the ground.
Heading up Troutal Fell - there is the odd small section where the path peters out but these sections are short
Looking back to Seathwaite Tarn from the Troutal Fell ascent
Continuing the lovely ascent up Troutal Fell looking to Brim Fell & Shudderstone How
Approaching Grey Friar's south west ridge with Troutal Fell over to the left. As can be seen on the ground, whilst not marked on the OS Map, the path is there sure enough.
The glorious view down Moasdale from Grey Friar's south west ridge. To the left are Slight Side, Scafell, Broad Stand, Mickledore and Scafell Pike whilst Great End is central with Esk Pike & Crinkle Crags over to the right.
Heading along Grey Friar's south west ridge - not a soul to be seen
The view from Grey Friar's south west ridge (Click Play to view)
Approaching the summit of Grey Friar
White Maiden & White Pike to the left with Pikes and Caw central. In the far right distance is Black Combe.
Levers Hawse, Brim Fell, Coniston Old Man, Goat's Hawse & Dow Crag from Grey Friar
Both summit cairns now in view as we climb the final few yards to the top of Grey Friar
The northern cairn from the summit of Grey Friar with the Scafells beyond
Harter Fell from the summit of Grey Friar
The summit of Grey Friar looking to Brim Fell and Coniston Old Man
The Scafells looking up Moasdale from Grey Friar - to the right is Bowfell over the top of Little Stand
Looking to the summit of Grey Friar from the northern cairn with Brim Fell & Coniston Old Man over to the right and the top of Great How Crags to the left
The northern cairn on Grey Friar - what a day to be out
A summit selfie on Grey Friar
The "Matterhorn Rock" - situated just off the descent path to Fairfield at Grid Reference NY 26099 00477. The rock is approximately 160 yards north east of the summit cairn.
The descent from Grey Friar to the col of Fairfield. As can be seen there are a myriad of paths when you arrive in the col therefore in low cloud it can be a confusing place. Today we would be heading up to the Memorial then on to Great Carrs. For those people wishing to leave out Great Carrs & Swirl How then the right hand path should be taken.
A cairn marks the spot height on Fairfield at 2280ft (695m)
The approach to Grey Friar from Fairfield
Ascending to the Memorial from Fairfield with Grey Friar beyond
The memorial and wreckage on Great Carrs to the Canadian Bomber that crashed on the fell in 1944. All 8 Canadian crew were killed in making the ultimate sacrifice - they shall never be forgotten.
During a night time navigation exercise in 1944, the RCAF Halifax from RAF Topcliffe became lost in thick cloud while over the north west of England. In an attempt to wait out the blanket of grey, they circled in hope the cloud would clear, ultimately becoming hopelessly lost. To try to get a visual fix for the navigator, the pilot dropped the bomber out of the cloud base, with no knowledge of what was below him. Unfortunately, they were greeted by the great rising fells of Swirl How and Great Carrs. With no time to react, the aircraft hit the mountainside killing all on board. Despite the crew perishing in the impact, the bomber remained largely intact and, to prevent other aircraft from spotting it and reporting it repeatedly, the wreckage was cut into a number of smaller, moveable pieces and discarded down Broad Slack, where parts of it are still visible today. Over the years, two of the four Rolls-Royce engines were recovered from the crash site by an RAF helicopter, one of which is now on display at the Ruskin Museum in Coniston.
During a night time navigation exercise in 1944, the RCAF Halifax from RAF Topcliffe became lost in thick cloud while over the north west of England. In an attempt to wait out the blanket of grey, they circled in hope the cloud would clear, ultimately becoming hopelessly lost. To try to get a visual fix for the navigator, the pilot dropped the bomber out of the cloud base, with no knowledge of what was below him. Unfortunately, they were greeted by the great rising fells of Swirl How and Great Carrs. With no time to react, the aircraft hit the mountainside killing all on board. Despite the crew perishing in the impact, the bomber remained largely intact and, to prevent other aircraft from spotting it and reporting it repeatedly, the wreckage was cut into a number of smaller, moveable pieces and discarded down Broad Slack, where parts of it are still visible today. Over the years, two of the four Rolls-Royce engines were recovered from the crash site by an RAF helicopter, one of which is now on display at the Ruskin Museum in Coniston.
The details of the 8 brave Canadian Airmen - average age of the crew was just 22 years
The summit of Great Carrs looking to Wetherlam & Black Sails
Swirl How and the Top of Broad Slack from Great Carrs
Looking to the Memorial & Grey Friar from the Top of Broad Slack as we make our way to Swirl How
The Top of Broad Slack and Great Carrs from near Swirl How - the Scafells are over to the left. I have been stood on this spot many times and it is one of my favourite views in the Lake District.
The summit of Swirl How looking to Wetherlam
Dow Crag, Pikes, Caw & Black Combe with Seathwaite Tarn below
Heading for Levers Hawse looking to Swirl Hawse over Prison Band with Wetherlam & Black Sails beyond
Nearing Levers Hawse as we look to Brim Fell, Coniston Old Man & Dow Crag
The ridge of Red Dell with Levers Water below
A cairn at Grid Reference SD 27075 99458 marks the path from Levers Hawse down to Levers Water via Gill Cove
The descent via Gill Cove to Levers Water is steep therefore a modicum of care over the loose stone sections needs to be taken
Looking up Gill Cove as Angie makes her way down the descent
Almost down now as we approach Levers Water. In roughly the centre of shot is the outflow weir of the reservoir and this can be approached from either the left or right - it should be noted that the path to the left is not detailed on the OS Map but is there on the ground. This path joins the one coming down from Swirl Hawse on the left of shot. We would be heading via the path to the right below Gill Cove Crag & Brim Fell End.
Our path to the weir beneath Gill Cove Crag
Looking back along the path to Gill Cove to Little How Crags, Great How Crags & The Prison
A Levers Water panorama from below Raven Tor
Looking to Swirl Hawse and Wetherlam from the south end of the reservoir
One of the many, many levels in the area - this one is The Back Strings of Simon's Nick
Erin Crag over Levers Water
Another Levers Water panorama this time from the weir
Crossing the outflow weir of Levers Water - after a period of rain the water can flow over the stones
This natural tarn was dammed in 1717 originally to provide water and power to the copper mines below, but now supplies water to Coniston and the surrounding villages.
This natural tarn was dammed in 1717 originally to provide water and power to the copper mines below, but now supplies water to Coniston and the surrounding villages.
Looking over Levers Water to our route of descent from Levers Hawse (centre of shot)
The weir at Levers Water looking to Swirl How
After crossing the weir, the route descends gradually into the Coppermines Valley
Raven Tor above Levers Waterfall
The rough path descent into the Coppermines Valley
Coppermines Valley - mining for copper in the valley dates back to the 16th century
Almost down now as we reach the Coppermines Cottages
The large waterwheel at Coppermines
The wheel was once integral to the Copper Mine, however it was removed from the building when the mine ceased operations in 1890. In 2019 the mine was reunited with its giant waterwheel after almost 130 years apart. The wheel provided power to the sawmill which was used to create flooring sections for the mine shafts – many of which were vertical drops and up to 15 feet wide in places. The cottages to the rear of the water wheel in the previous photo are holiday lets and a popular wedding venue.
The wheel was once integral to the Copper Mine, however it was removed from the building when the mine ceased operations in 1890. In 2019 the mine was reunited with its giant waterwheel after almost 130 years apart. The wheel provided power to the sawmill which was used to create flooring sections for the mine shafts – many of which were vertical drops and up to 15 feet wide in places. The cottages to the rear of the water wheel in the previous photo are holiday lets and a popular wedding venue.
Coppermines Youth Hostel
The YHA Coppermines Hostel is located in the former manager's building of the historic Coniston copper mines, which operated from the 17th century until 1914. The building was first used as a hostel in 1928 and joined the Youth Hostel Association network in 1931 becoming its first hostel in the Lake District.
The YHA Coppermines Hostel is located in the former manager's building of the historic Coniston copper mines, which operated from the 17th century until 1914. The building was first used as a hostel in 1928 and joined the Youth Hostel Association network in 1931 becoming its first hostel in the Lake District.
The Miners Bridge over Church Beck - the bridge was once part of a route used to transport copper ore from the mines to processing mills
Arriving at the Sun Inn, Coniston - silly not to I suppose