Llangollen, Castell Dinas Bran, Valle Crucis Abbey & Horseshoe Falls - Monday 9 September 2024
Route
Llangollen Pavilion - Llangollen Wharf - Castell Dinas Bran - Offa's Dyke Path - Eglwyseg - Ty Newydd - Tan-y-fron - Eliseg's Pillar - Valle Crucis Abbey - Velvet Hill - Horseshoe Falls - Chainbridge - River Dee - Llangollen Pavilion
Parking
There is plenty of parking in Llangollen. We parked at the Llangollen Pavilion on Abbey Road (Charge). The Grid Reference is SJ 21035 42530 and the nearest postcode is LL20 8SS.
Mileage
9.6 miles
Terrain
Good paths throughout with some road walking on quiet lanes and along the towpath of the Llangollen Canal.
Weather
Strong cold wind on the ascent of Castell Dinas Bran which turned warm with sunny spells for the descent and the remainder of the walk.
Time Taken
5hrs
Total Ascent
1447ft (441m)
Map
OS Explorer 255 - Llangollen & Berwyn
Walkers
Dave & Angie with Howard Smith (aka The Crow) & Shirley Fermor
Llangollen Pavilion - Llangollen Wharf - Castell Dinas Bran - Offa's Dyke Path - Eglwyseg - Ty Newydd - Tan-y-fron - Eliseg's Pillar - Valle Crucis Abbey - Velvet Hill - Horseshoe Falls - Chainbridge - River Dee - Llangollen Pavilion
Parking
There is plenty of parking in Llangollen. We parked at the Llangollen Pavilion on Abbey Road (Charge). The Grid Reference is SJ 21035 42530 and the nearest postcode is LL20 8SS.
Mileage
9.6 miles
Terrain
Good paths throughout with some road walking on quiet lanes and along the towpath of the Llangollen Canal.
Weather
Strong cold wind on the ascent of Castell Dinas Bran which turned warm with sunny spells for the descent and the remainder of the walk.
Time Taken
5hrs
Total Ascent
1447ft (441m)
Map
OS Explorer 255 - Llangollen & Berwyn
Walkers
Dave & Angie with Howard Smith (aka The Crow) & Shirley Fermor
|
GPX File
|
| ||
If the above GPX file fails to download or presents itself as an XML file once downloaded then please feel free to contact me and I will send you the GPX file via e-mail.
Route Map
Whilst there is plenty of parking in Llangollen, we always park at the Llangollen Pavilion on the A542 just half a mile west of the town. The Car Park is large, reasonable and as you can see here, pretty quiet on a midweek September morning.
Llangollen can be reached by simply walking back along the A5 however the canal towpath is a much better alternative
"Why stand when you can sit"
This sculptured stone piece of modern art is in memory of Alan Bird, an actor & writer who lived in Llangollen. It sits on the towpath of the canal overlooking the Llangollen Pavilion.
This sculptured stone piece of modern art is in memory of Alan Bird, an actor & writer who lived in Llangollen. It sits on the towpath of the canal overlooking the Llangollen Pavilion.
The Llangollen Pavilion - the venue is home to the annual Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod
Llangollen Canal Basin
Tobias the Shire Horse at Llangollen Wharf
He is one of several Shire Horses that pull the canal boat trips along the towpath from Llangollen Wharf
He is one of several Shire Horses that pull the canal boat trips along the towpath from Llangollen Wharf
Just past Llangollen Wharf a way marked sign on the left points the way up to Castell Dinas Bran
At a T Junction the route leaves the road and heads straight ahead to join a rough path
The track gives way to a carpet of grass as the route continues towards the Castell which is now in view ahead
Looking over to Creigiau Eglwyseg
Looking back towards Llangollen from the route of ascent
Llangollen with the Pavilion over to the right
Castell Dinas Bran
Looking around the weather beaten ruins, it is hard to imagine that Castell Dinas Bran was originally both a medieval fortress and a splendid mansion where the Princes of Powys Fadog lived, ruled and entertained important guests. The castle's short working life lasted scarcely two decades, from the early 1260s until its burning and abandonment in 1277. Yet in its heyday, the castle featured a gatehouse, keep, hall, D shaped tower and a large central courtyard.
Looking around the weather beaten ruins, it is hard to imagine that Castell Dinas Bran was originally both a medieval fortress and a splendid mansion where the Princes of Powys Fadog lived, ruled and entertained important guests. The castle's short working life lasted scarcely two decades, from the early 1260s until its burning and abandonment in 1277. Yet in its heyday, the castle featured a gatehouse, keep, hall, D shaped tower and a large central courtyard.
The ruins of Castell Dinas Bran and one of its current residents
The Crow, Peroni King and friend of Ryan Reynolds at the ruins of Castell Dinas Bran
Shirley, The Crow and myself at Castell Dinas Bran
The Crow meets The Crow as we begin the descent of Castell Dinas Bran
Looking back up at our descent from Castell Dinas Bran
At the bottom of the descent we joined a quiet road - we were now on the Offa's Dyke Path
The Offa’s Dyke Path is a 177 mile (285 Km) long walking trail. It is named after, and often follows, the spectacular Dyke King Offa ordered to be constructed in the 8th century, probably to divide his Kingdom of Mercia from rival kingdoms in what is now Wales. The Trail, which was opened in the summer of 1971, links Sedbury Cliffs near Chepstow on the banks of the Severn estuary with the coastal town of Prestatyn on the shores of the Irish Sea. It passes through no less than eight different counties and crosses the border between England and Wales over 20 times.
The Offa’s Dyke Path is a 177 mile (285 Km) long walking trail. It is named after, and often follows, the spectacular Dyke King Offa ordered to be constructed in the 8th century, probably to divide his Kingdom of Mercia from rival kingdoms in what is now Wales. The Trail, which was opened in the summer of 1971, links Sedbury Cliffs near Chepstow on the banks of the Severn estuary with the coastal town of Prestatyn on the shores of the Irish Sea. It passes through no less than eight different counties and crosses the border between England and Wales over 20 times.
Castell Dinas Bran from the Offa's Dyke Path
Creigiau Eglwyseg
At Eglwyseg the route turns left at the village notice board
Safe to say we did not break the speed limit
Said hello to this little chap near Birch Cottage
Heading through The Birches
Ooh err Missus - it's Eliseg's Pillar
This pillar near Valle Crucis Abbey is the broken shaft of the cross that gave the Valley and the neighbouring Abbey their names. The shaft dates from the 9th Century and bears an inscription now barely legible recording that it was erected in honour of Eliseg, King of Powys.
This pillar near Valle Crucis Abbey is the broken shaft of the cross that gave the Valley and the neighbouring Abbey their names. The shaft dates from the 9th Century and bears an inscription now barely legible recording that it was erected in honour of Eliseg, King of Powys.
Along the A542 from Eliseg's Pillar is the entrance to Valle Crucis Abbey
Striking a pose with Shirley at Valle Crucis Abbey
The beautiful ruins of Valle Crucis Abbey
The abbey is a former Cistercian Monastery which was founded in 1201 by the Princes of Powys. Much of it survives including the fine west front and east end.
The abbey is a former Cistercian Monastery which was founded in 1201 by the Princes of Powys. Much of it survives including the fine west front and east end.
Despite its ruinous state, this really is a beautiful building
The fish pond to the rear of Valle Crucis Abbey
The fish pond provided a ready source of food for the monks who were forbidden by their vows to eat meat. The pond has been restored and is now the only surviving monastic fish pond in Wales. Most monasteries without fishing rights would originally have had one or more such ponds.
The fish pond provided a ready source of food for the monks who were forbidden by their vows to eat meat. The pond has been restored and is now the only surviving monastic fish pond in Wales. Most monasteries without fishing rights would originally have had one or more such ponds.
The eastern end of Valle Crucis Abbey
We had the abbey to ourselves - free to enter and wander around at your leisure
It was a delight to just wander around and take in the splendour of this beautiful building
The fine west front of the church at Valle Crucis Abbey
Tearing ourselves away from Valle Crucis Abbey we headed up the eastern flank of Coed Hyrddyn (Velvet Hill)
Heading up Velvet Hill
St Tysilio's church at Llantysilio
The ancient church stands in a wooded setting on high ground above the picturesque Horseshoe Falls. It is dedicated to St Tysilio who lived as a hermit in the 7th Century on Church Island in the Menai Strait off Anglesey. Built in the 15th century and, whilst restored in the Victorian era, it has many treasures including a medieval roof, a small amount of 15th Century glass and a medieval oak eagle lectern. The sloping churchyard is designated as a living churchyard, enabling wild flowers to flourish.
The ancient church stands in a wooded setting on high ground above the picturesque Horseshoe Falls. It is dedicated to St Tysilio who lived as a hermit in the 7th Century on Church Island in the Menai Strait off Anglesey. Built in the 15th century and, whilst restored in the Victorian era, it has many treasures including a medieval roof, a small amount of 15th Century glass and a medieval oak eagle lectern. The sloping churchyard is designated as a living churchyard, enabling wild flowers to flourish.
The grave of Exuperius Pickering in the churchyard of St Tysilio's Church (more about him later on)
Nice to see the face of our Lord Jesus Christ on the stained glass window frame rather than those scary gargoyles
The Horseshoe Falls (Click Play to view)
The Horseshoe Falls and one very excited Springer Spaniel
Located on the River Dee, near to Llantysilio, this masterpiece of Thomas Telford Engineering is where the Canal World Heritage site begins. He designed this weir to draw water from the River Dee in to the canal, and it became a stunning addition to the landscape. At 460ft (140M) long, it is certainly an impressive sight.
Located on the River Dee, near to Llantysilio, this masterpiece of Thomas Telford Engineering is where the Canal World Heritage site begins. He designed this weir to draw water from the River Dee in to the canal, and it became a stunning addition to the landscape. At 460ft (140M) long, it is certainly an impressive sight.
Approaching The Chainbridge Hotel - it was now approaching beer o'clock
The Chain Bridge over the River Dee
The first of three Chain Bridges to be built on this site was constructed in 1817 in order to link two major transport routes in North Wales, the Llangollen Canal and the London to Holyhead Road. Local entrepreneur, Exuperius Pickering, wished to take advantage of the Llangollen Canal to transport his goods of coal, lime and iron bar to Telfords’ highway, thereby giving him quick and cheap access to the markets in the north. To achieve this he spent considerable time from 1814 onwards petitioning the Llangollen Canal Company to improve the feeder section of canal and allow him exclusive access to the wharves and bridges. Ultimately, the construction of the bridge allowed him to monopolise the coal trade in the area.
The first of three Chain Bridges to be built on this site was constructed in 1817 in order to link two major transport routes in North Wales, the Llangollen Canal and the London to Holyhead Road. Local entrepreneur, Exuperius Pickering, wished to take advantage of the Llangollen Canal to transport his goods of coal, lime and iron bar to Telfords’ highway, thereby giving him quick and cheap access to the markets in the north. To achieve this he spent considerable time from 1814 onwards petitioning the Llangollen Canal Company to improve the feeder section of canal and allow him exclusive access to the wharves and bridges. Ultimately, the construction of the bridge allowed him to monopolise the coal trade in the area.
Another two bridges on the River Dee - the lower bridge carries the B5103 whilst the upper bridge is the one used by the 10 mile long Llangollen Railway Heritage Line which runs between the town and Corwen
Suitably refreshed we headed along the towpath back to the start at Llangollen Pavilion
The 14ft high stainless steel Welsh Harp crowned by doves of peace situated at the entrance to Llangollen Pavilion
Tobias at the end of his shift - why the long face?
Llangollen Wharf - and a very good Tea Room which we have visited many times
Fuelling at the Tea Room, Llangollen Wharf - and very nice it was too
The view from Llangollen Bridge to the River Dee with the railway station over to the right
The War Memorial in Llangollen